Friday, February 1, 2013

Being Sociologically Mindful

I have done a lot of community service throughout the past several years; one of my favorite opportunities to volunteer at is Equestrian Connection, which is a therapeutic horse stable for children and adults with disabilities. I started volunteering there in seventh grade when I needed a Mitzvah (Service) Project for my Bat Mitzvah, and I love it so much that I have continued doing it for years. This place is very eye opening to a group of people who I would not have known much about without actually going to Equestrian Connection and being there with them. Someone who cannot walk stably, or is missing a limb, or even in a wheelchair, can get up on a horse and have complete control of where they want to direct the horse. I really enjoy being able to help these people get onto horses, work on their balance, play games with them on the horse, and talking to them; I feel I have become sociologically mindful of a new population of people while getting to know these children and adults as individuals with their own unique story to tell. Volunteering at this amazing place has taught me to look at someone as a person, and the second thought should be if they have a disability, and what I can do to help them do any tasks because nobody should be held back from anything. Everyone who volunteers and works at Equestrian Connection is sociologically mindful and very aware of the people and the environment they are in.

No comments:

Post a Comment