Thursday, May 30, 2013

Service Experience Hours

For a long time now, volunteering has been a big part of my life. The first place I really felt a personal connection to was Equestrian Conneciton, when I started volunteering in 2007. Equestrian Connection is a therapeutic stable where kids and adults can ride horses, with the help of therapists, leaders, and side walkers. Throughout this semester, I have gone there to volunteer for 2-3 hours each week leading horses, putting saddles and bridals on the horses, walking next to the riders, and helping with mounts and dismounts.
My mom is the directer of a PADS homeless shelter and I have volunteered there for the dinner shift (6:30-8:30) twice this semester. I thought it was a good experience to get to volunteer and talk to the guests and realize they are people like you and me, with their own stories, personalities, and food preferences.
For a few seasons now, I have volunteered as a buddy for Keshet's Buddy Baseball. It is from 1-2:30 on Sundays in the Spring, Summer, and Fall. At Buddy Baseball, each player is paired with one or two buddies, and they get to play a game of baseball. There are no outs, everyone gets a chance to hit each round and make it around the bases. I think this is a very special opportunity for the players to get to play on a team and hit the ball and make it around for a home run, with buddies helping them every step of the way.
In the begininning of the semester, I raised money and participated in the Polar Plunge to raise money for Special Olympics. I felt this was meaningful for me because I am a Gymnastics Coach for the Special Olympics, so I got to see who was being benifited from all the money that each of the teams raised. Although the water was FREEZING, I had a good time that day with my friends, especially because it was for such a good cause.

Me at Buddy Baseball
 
Polar Plunge!

No comments:

Post a Comment